The saying, “who rescued who,” is pretty spot on when it comes to my hound dog, Blue. His journey with us began in response to my husband’s deployment. I never thought he would have such an impact in my life. Until you own a dog of your own, it is hard to truly understand. When I think things can’t get worse, I have these sad eyes looking to me for guidance. Here are 5 things Blue has taught me.
1. Take time for rest. It is so easy to get caught up in the day to day, rushing around trying to get everything done. Blue forces me to stop and relax. Whether it is beside him or by taking a walk. You deserve it and it is good for your health!
2. Love regardless. Blue doesn’t care what I look like in the morning (or my breath!), he doesn’t care what shirt I’m wearing, or what I smell like after working out. He looks at me with a world of possibilities and loves me anyway.
3. It’s okay to be spoiled. Yes! I said it! What is life for if not to have fun and care about those around you by spoiling them! He gets his fair share of treats and attention. He knows he is loved and cared for. That is the best feeling!
4. Talk to people! It is easy to take a walk and pass neighbors without even looking up from your phone. These days we often forget to be human and talk to each other. When Blue runs up without hesitation to say hi to strangers (or dogs!), I have no choice but to meet them. It is fun meeting all these new friends!
5. Look for things in unexpected places! Ok, this one is more of a metaphor but is completely true for him. What is he looking for under the table? Sniffing the rug for who knows what, finding crumbs in the couch cushion. He isn’t afraid of exploring what all life has to offer!
Gotta love that face!
What has your dog taught you? I’m sure there are many more! Here are a few others: To forgive, to smile at the simple things in life and have fun exercising!
Thanks for stopping by,
Pingback: Happy Birthday Blue! | Wood Art